Things Took a Turn is an annual animation anthology that challenges artists of marginalized genders
to create new animated short stories by twisting familiar narratives
– Participants must pick a known story or trope and find a new way to change or interpret it into a short animation. This can mean keeping tropes as loose threads of your story or reinterpreting a pre-existing piece, but there MUST be a noticeable change at some point. Alternatively, participants may also write an original short within the theme.
– Participants should identify as female, trans, non-binary, or genderqueer
– let's see all the great work you animators and designers have to offer!
– Final submissions must be between 5 seconds and 3 minutes long.
– All experience levels welcome.
– Collaborations welcome, but also this could be a cool opportunity to challenge yourself to do something outside your comfort zone!
– One entry per person/team
– English subtitles are encouraged for pieces with voiceover.
– At the end, submissions will be curated into one long video!
You can see the latest anthology here!